The philosophy of the course offering centered around two fundamental principles:
- The course shall sacrifice nothing, both in content and in implementation, from the standard in-class, lecture-based version of the course (which ran concurrently).
- The course will feature live, online lecturing, as well as live recitation sessions, as a core part of the instruction.
The implementation of such an endeavor was facilitated by a software package called Elluminate Live! (ELive!), a virtual classroom environment that features (screen shot at right):
- an online virtual whiteboard which acts like a chalkboard.
- streamin audio,
- powerpoint-style slides that can be superimposed on the shiteboard and written over,
- Classroom attendence moderation,
- full student interaction including notification of a "raised hand", side chatroom (fully monitored by the instructor, voice and/or whiteboard enabling for each students or students,
- full recording of live sessions for post lecture viewing/reviewing, with time stamps for accompanying notes.
The results were excellent, and this summer we are offering four of our courses in this format (as well as accompanying in-class versions). I can provide tons more information is anyone is interested.
Thought I would throw this out there. Cheers....